What Is Parquet Flooring?
Parquet flooring, sometimes called parquetry, is an extremely popular design for both modern and traditional homes. This type of flooring has been around since medieval days when it was created using inlays of different types of wood fitted together to form beautiful designs. It’s thought that the name comes from the Italian word meaning “small square”, which perfectly describes the shapes used in this style of flooring. Parquetry can be made out of any kind of wood, but there are some varieties that are more commonly used than others. Typically you will find hardwoods such as cedar or oak used because they are durable and stand up well to heavy foot traffic over time. The most common choice for floors is often walnut parquet, but sometimes you will see fir or even maple used in this style of flooring.
What Does Parquet Flooring Look Like?
If you’re thinking about installing a parquet in your home, choosing a design for the floor is one of the most important decisions that you’ll make when it comes to creating a cohesive and visually pleasing space in your home. The beauty of a well-done installation is in its simplicity and versatility. Traditional parquet designs often feature classic shapes such as squares, diamonds, and rectangles pieced together with an alternating pattern going from dark to light wood depending on how it’s rotated. This creates a wonderful sense of depth and natural appeal that pulls any room together perfectly.
Benefits of Parquet Flooring
Parquet is one of the most beautiful types of flooring that you can install in your home. If you are looking to give your home a classic and timeless look that will last for years to come, then parquet flooring may be right for you. There are many benefits associated with this type of flooring, including:
* Durable – Parquet is an extremely strong type of wood that can stand up well to even high traffic areas, making it durable enough to use in your office or commercial space if needed
* Easy To Maintain – This type of flooring doesn’t require much maintenance at all and it’s generally very easy to keep clean and free from dirt and daily wear and tear
* Adds A Sense Of Depth And Interest – One of the best parts about parquet flooring is that it adds a sense of depth and interest to any room, which can help you create an atmosphere where your family will love spending time together
* Versatile Design Can Be Installed Almost Anywhere – Parquet flooring can be installed just about anywhere in your home. You will find this type of flooring featured more often than not in bedrooms, dining rooms, and entryways. However, there are also many creative ways to use this type of design with unique applications such as kitchens or even bathrooms.
Types Of Parquet Flooring
These days you will find that there are many different types of parquet flooring to choose from. Some types of parquet flooring include:
* Solid Wood Parquet Flooring – One of the most popular choices for parquet flooring is made using solid wood, which allows you to see all the natural patterns and details in each individual piece. This type of flooring is rustic, classic, and absolutely beautiful.
* Engineered Wood Parquet Flooring – Like hardwood plywood, this type of parquet flooring features an MDF core with a thin veneer on top made out of real wood. This type has become very popular because it offers the look of real wood some of the drawbacks associated with solid wood parquet flooring. It’s less expensive, more lightweight and it saves you time on installation by being easier to install
* Laminate Parquet Flooring – This type of parquet flooring is simply the laminate version of engineered wood parquet flooring. You can find many different styles when it comes to this type of parquet floor with some featuring flecks in the design that gives off the look of real wood with a high-gloss finish.